Sunday, April 12, 2009

I'm a Blushing and Blogging Bride!

Yesterday was six months until I get married and wow, I feel like the creation of this blog is long overdue! As crazy as it sounds, this is my first foray into the blogging world and although as a PR professional, I pitch blogs every day and as a gossip obsessed girl, I read them every minute, I've never had one of my very own.

But 2009 is a very special year, and there are far too many things going on (hello wedding!) to not have an outlet in which to share them. In addition to the any number of things I could chose to write about as Cisco and I gear up to move back East and tie the knot, there has been another running list of random happenings and off the wall occurrences that are going down at the same time. You know what they say, when it rains it pours - and for better or worse, it is raining cats and dogs right now!

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the most joyous and exciting times in my life! I am lucky enough to be marrying my best friend and partner in crime, and though we have many different life changes ahead of us in the coming months (moving, find a place to live, prepping for the big day and adjusting to life back in Jersey), we are doing it together - and nothing is cooler than that.

But true to form, I have chosen to do jam everything I could possible jam into one year - something that Cisco and I decided together, but something that we didn't realize the craziness of until we're right in the middle of it. Which is where we are today - right in the middle of it.

Yes, the dresses and tuxes are being ordered, cakes are being chosen and save the dates are out - but it's the unexpected things that really throw you for a loop during the whole planning process, and generally makes even the most precise coordinator forced to throw up her hands and accept that there will be a fair amount of 'going with the flow' happening as well.

In the last 60 days, emotions have been running high as we are spending our final days in California trying to appreciate what is left of it, while looking forward to the future. It's been been a great run and we've made friends that equate to family and relationships that will no doubt last a lifetime. And we'll miss them. On the other hand, we're anxiously awaiting being around moms, dads, grandpops and grandmoms again, while reconnecting with the countless number of friends who have been there for the last half of decade, filled with unconditional love, no matter how many miles apart we are.

It's a weird feeling - I recently said to my friend Stacy (who is about 8 and a half months pregnant right now and therefore, always honest!) 'this is hard, I'm going to miss everyone that I've become so attached to out here and I think they'll miss me too' and her very quick, Jersey Girl response was, 'Yeah, but not as much as we've missed you for the past five years.' I had to laugh - what do you say to that? She meant it with no offense and yet, meant it 100%. You don't find people in life as special as her every day, and the same goes for each and every person I'm truly close to.

And yet still, as if all of these 'emotions' and 'feelings' aren't enough, we're also going through a recession. The economy sucks more now than ever before, and inevitably our plans have been affected by it. We thank our lucky stars that we're not one if the millions who are out of a job or without a home, but we are seeing the realness of all of this and those around us are too.

Couple money troubles with freak acts of nature and it's pretty darn overwhelming. In just two months, our car has been broken into, my back has gone out, Cisco has gotten shingles (I know what you're thinking, who gets shingles?!), we've discovered that Meatball can't fly on a plane because he has 'breathing issues' and therefore will be roadtripping it with me and my dad across the country and we've witnessed a shooting just outside of our window - and we live in a nice area. As I said to Cisco the other day - post-shooting - I think the gods are trying to tell us to GET OUTTTTT....

And while those things are just a sampling of what life has been like lately, I still look around and feel grateful that we have each other. And happy that I'm sitting in the sunshine with Meatball right now, having completed what I believe to be my best baked macaroni and cheese yet and prepping to go our last Easter Feaster in California.

Should I be more 'prepared' to move? Or packed and ready to go? Should I already be mentally able to say goodbye? I'm not sure. But I do know that I'm all set to enjoy mimosas and a midday meal with those who I've come to know and love so well.

Everything else is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment